Gap Year with Ahansal Cultural Programs in High Atlas, Morocco.
A year from now in Morocco, you will bring home so many great memories and personal discoveries – none more important than a stronger sense of who you are and who you’re meant to be.
Ahansal Cultural Programs Gap programs are designed to offer high school graduates the opportunity to study abroad before entering their freshman year of college.
Why Participate on an Ahansal Cultural Programs Gap Program?
- Immerse yourself into another culture
- One of the most important goals of any Gap program should be cultural immersion. What is the point of traveling to a different country if you don’t intend to learn anything about it? ACP has the strong belief that students will most benefit from their study abroad programs if they are as immersed in the host culture as possible. Therefore, we have gone to great lengths to provide countless cultural opportunities for our students in rural Morocco, partner language exchanges, local cultural activities, excursions, and more.
- Gain self-confidence and independence
- A Gap program will challenge you in ways you might not expect. There is nothing like living and studying in a different country to help you feel more independent.
- Explore your interests
- Explore the world, test yourself, and see things you never thought possible.
- Gain fluency in another language
- Meet new people
- On a Gap program with ACP, you will be joined by other like-minded students going through the same transitions you are. Facing the challenges of living and studying in a foreign culture often helps students make long lasting bonds of friendship that stay with them well after the program ends. Plus, you’ll get to meet locals! One of the greatest joys of studying abroad is the opportunity to meet and learn from someone who is part of a completely different culture. Interacting with locals on a daily basis will help you learn more about their culture than any book can teach you. Chances are, you will learn just as much about YOURSELF in the process.
- Start diversifying your college application and building your resume
- In today’s world, experience studying and working abroad is becoming more and more valuable as many companies are looking to hire new employees with some form of international experience. With the world becoming increasingly globalized, having the ability to speak another language or understand the perspective of a client from a different culture is becoming a widely sought after skill.
Cultural experience and self-development with ACP.
Ahansal Cultural Programs provides Gap Year students with the opportunity to experience rural life and participate in community development programs in the remote Zawiya Ahansal region of the Central High Atlas Mountains of Morocco. All our Gap Year students have an impact, both on the community they serve and on themselves. They feel connected to a new culture. They learn, and they teach. They discover, understand, and grow. They go home different persons than when they came. Gaining new experiences and insights, giving back and helping others, creating connections with people, a sense of accomplishment and building career options are main goals of our Gap Year students. Moreover, our team helps students to:
- Expose to diversity and multiculturalism.
- Build relationships and “social connectedness” with peers, adults, and activists sharing a cause.
- Improve communication and critical thinking skills.
- Gain great skills to solve problems.
- Experience an increased sense of self-efficacy.
- Become attractive to potential employers.
- Enjoy excellent networking opportunities.
- Find a sense of responsibility and pride.
- Program Highlights
- Placement and Location: Zawiya Ahansal, High Atlas Mountains, Morocco.
- Local NGO: Association Amezray SMNID.
- Requirements: Student on a Gap Year
- Accomodation: Dar Ahansal, a Berber beautiful guest house. www.darahansal.com
- Length of placement: From one week. Our program runs all year around, if you would like to arrange your start and end dates, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program includes participating in all or some ACP programs (see our programs)
- Program Prices include:
- airport pick up and drop off
- Necessary work-related transportation
- In-country induction with a staff member upon arrival
- Pre-departure support fromACP by email and phone
- Translators: English / French – Arabic / Berber, available 24/7
- Excursions with a Moroccan licensed mountain guide in surrounding villages.
- One night camping in Taghia, 12 KM from the service location.
- Arabic and Berber Lessons with Our trained teachers.
- Historical Tours and visit the saints Houses of Zawiyat Ahansal.
- Tradional berber music, Henna party, feast at the end of the program.
- (Contact us for program prices)
- Prices do not include:
- Travel insurance
- Medical insurance
- Country Info
Morocco is a North African country that has a coastline on both the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. It has borders with Mauritania to the south, Algeria to the east and the Spanish North African territories of Ceuta and Melilla on the Mediterranean coast in the north.
Ethnically speaking, Morocco is composed mainly of Arabs and Berbers or a mixture of the two. Sizeable numbers of Berbers live mainly in the country’s mountainous regions, long areas of refuge where they have preserved their language and culture. Berber or Imazighen are indigenous people of Morocco.
The High Atlas is a region in Morocco covering the mountain range and surrounding destinations such as Marrakech. It’s a regular destination for mountain hikers, ski enthusiasts, or travelers interested in the indigenous Berber culture found throughout its many peaks and valleys.
Zawiya Ahansal is a beautiful valley and rural commune in Azilal Province of the Tadla-Azilal region of Morocco. At the time of the 2004 census, the commune had a total population of 10435 people living in 1554 households. Zawiya Ahansal was founded in the 13th Located in the central High Atlas Mountains, around 360 KM from Marrakech; Zawiya Ahansal Valley is unspoiled nature at its best. It has been compared to the majesty of the Himalayan Mountains, its lush orchards and green pastures surrounded by snow-capped mountains being quite different from the usual images of barren beauty readily associated with Morocco. The small towns with their mud brick and stony houses scattered throughout the valley enhance its unspoiled atmosphere.
- Arrival Procedure
- Volunteers fly into Marrakech airport which is about half-an-hour’s drive away from the hotel where our volunteers spent the night before leaving to Zawiya Ahansal.
- You will be met at the airport by a member of our local staff who will usually take you to the hotel and accompany you to Zawiya Ahansal.
- Orientation at the hotel by ACP staff.
- The next day, you will be driven to Zawiya Ahansal with a private minibus or 4*4.
- A general orientation in the guest house Dar Ahansal, Safety, the valley, the history, the culture, show rooms, answer questions and explain the program in details.
- Next days, program services, hiking, historical tours, interviews, evaluations, excursions, other projects, cultural activities, free time…
Contact us for more details: email@example.com