Volunteer preserve the nature and save environment in Moroccan High Atlas Mountains.
Are you an individual volunteer; a student on gap year or break; a group; a school; an NGO; a club; or any foundation? And you are concerned in volunteering to preserve the environment and spread your knowledge about the nature protection in High Atlas Mountains of Morocco by participating in our sustainable projects, conducting research and collecting data, educating communities or help local NGO to work on environmental project, here are some community service programs you may like to be involved in with Ahansal Cultural Programs:
- Plant a few trees in the government schools, offices, NGO’s centers, place of the market, in the villages…; the best way to get the community involved is to create an environmental project. When planting trees, consider placing them in an area where members of the community can enjoy them.
- Participate or build an environmental project (wash station, garbage house, irrigations…)
- Teach the communities about the dangerous effects of garbage go door to door and spread the knowledge.
- Organize lessons, workshops and different activities in one of our community centers to teach locals kids about environment preservation.
- Clean up garbage along a hiking, or even just on the side of the road.
- Try some fundraising activities to help local NGO start an environmental project.
- Learning benefits
Cultural experience and self-development.
Our programs provide volunteers with the opportunity to experience rural life and participate in community development programs in the remote Zawiya Ahansal region of the Central High Atlas Mountains of Morocco. All our volunteers will have an impact, both on the community they serve and on themselves. They will feel connected to a new culture. They will learn, and they will teach. They will discover, understand, and grow. They will go home different persons than when they left. Gaining new experiences and insights, giving back and helping others, creating connections with people, a sense of accomplishment and building career options are main goals of our volunteers. Moreover, our team helps volunteers to:
- Expose to diversity and multiculturalism.
- Build relationships and “social connectedness” with peers, adults, and activists sharing a cause.
- Improve communication and critical thinking skills.
- Gain great skills to solve problems.
- Experience an increased sense of self-efficacy.
- Become attractive to potential employers.
- Enjoy excellent networking opportunities.
- Find a sense of responsibility and pride.
- Program Highlights
- Placement and Location: Zawiya Ahansal, High Atlas Mountains, Morocco.
- Local NGO: Association Amezray SMNID.
- Role: Contributing in environment preservation.
- Requirements: None
- Accomodation: Dar Ahansal, a Berber beautiful guest house. www.darahansal.com
- Length of placement: From one week. Our program runs all year around, if you would like to arrange your start and end dates around the local holidays, please contact us at email@example.com
Program includes also other opportunities to volunteer and participate in one of Association Amezray Smnid‘s sustainable development projects.
- Program Prices include: (Contact us for program prices)
- airport pick up and drop off
- Necessary work-related transportation
- In-country induction with a staff member upon arrival
- Pre-departure support fromACP by email and phone
- Translators: English / French – Arabic / Berber, available 24/7
- Excursions with a Moroccan licensed mountain guide in surrounding villages.
- One night camping in Taghia, 2 KM from the service location.
- Arabic and Berber Lessons with Our trained teachers.
- Historical Tours and visit the saints Houses of Zawiyat Ahansal.
- Tradional berber music, Henna party, feast at the end of the program.
- Prices do not include:
- Travel insurance
- Medical insurance
- Country Info
Morocco is a North African country that has a coastline on both the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. It has borders with Mauritania to the south, Algeria to the east and the Spanish North African territories of Ceuta and Melilla on the Mediterranean coast in the north.
Ethnically speaking, Morocco is composed mainly of Arabs and Berbers or a mixture of the two. Sizeable numbers of Berbers live mainly in the country’s mountainous regions, long areas of refuge where they have preserved their language and culture. Berber or Imazighen are indigenous people of Morocco.
The High Atlas is a region in Morocco covering the mountain range and surrounding destinations such as Marrakech. It’s a regular destination for mountain hikers, ski enthusiasts, or travelers interested in the indigenous Berber culture found throughout its many peaks and valleys.
Zawiya Ahansal is a beautiful valley and rural commune in Azilal Province of the Tadla-Azilal region of Morocco. At the time of the 2004 census, the commune had a total population of 10435 people living in 1554 households. Zawiya Ahansal was founded in the 13th Located in the central High Atlas Mountains, around 360 KM from Marrakech, Zawiya Ahansal Valley is unspoiled nature at its best. It has been compared to the majesty of the Himalayan Mountains, its lush orchards and green pastures surrounded by snow-capped mountains being quite different from the usual images of barren beauty readily associated with Morocco. The small towns with their mud brick and stony houses scattered throughout the valley enhance its unspoiled atmosphere.
- Arrival Procedure
- Volunteers fly into Marrakech airport which is about half-an-hour’s drive away from the hotel where our volunteers spent the night before leaving to Zawiya Ahansal.
- You will be met at the airport by a member of our local staff who will usually take you to the hotel and accompany you to Zawiya Ahansal.
- Orientation at the hotel by ACP staff.
- The next day, you will be driven to Zawiya Ahansal with a private minibus or 4*4.
- A general orientation in the guest house Dar Ahansal, Safety, the valley, the history, the culture, show rooms, answer questions and explain the program in details.
- Next days, program services, hiking, historical tours, interviews, evaluations, excursions, other projects, cultural activities…
Contact us for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org